PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sooo, You Want to Fly for Korean Airlines Do You?
Old 7th May 2012, 21:29
taildrag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Re Slasher's 7 April post with the Korean Air video:

Interesting account, though one wonders if the improvements mentioned are actually in effect. "Flight International" years ago published a report of studies done regarding Asian crewmembers and Western crewmembers in several combinations- Western captain, Asian F/O, and the reverse, all Asian and all Western crews. It mentioned the cultural differences (particularly deference to senior/older captains by junior/younger Asian F/Os) as possible sources for concern.

This video is all reminiscent of that, which was published decades ago, if memory serves.

We still some of the military attitudes in US cockpits, but not to any real degree.

I have a friend, an experienced international captain and now a TRI/TRE, who has been lectured by a green co-pilot who graduated from Embry Riddle Aeronautical University. I flew with an F/O who was the same way, believing he was much better prepared than mere pilots. My friend bristled at the young man's attitude.

"Why, lighten up," I advised him. "You might learn something. Don't you know Embry Riddle graduates know absolutely everything?"

It would be interesting to see how US contractors- mostly ex-US military, I presume, are training Afghan Air Force pilots on some 200 Mil-8 helicopters the US has ordered for them. I saw one video where an Afghan pilot complained he and his compatriots had flown them for years, and had much more experience in type and in country than the highly paid US instructors, who were imposing US military procedures on them, would ever have.

Anybody placing bets on the Afghan Air Force ever becoming an effective organization? I think all they have now is a few C-27s and Cessna Caravans.

Seems like a huge waste of millions (if not billions) of dollars. At least the Brits seem to be wising up a little faster.

Last edited by taildrag; 7th May 2012 at 21:49. Reason: date order