PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retirement at 68
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2012, 09:47
FERetd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CX Training

Old Fella

You say:-

" Obviously things change and I am in no position to comment on the current situation."

"Make the most of what CX offers folks and if you don't enjoy being there go find somewhere else to make you feel better."

You are indeed in no position to comment on today's Cathay Pacific. I note that you are 71 years old. That being the case, you would have retired from Cathay 16 years ago around 1996. That would have been on an A scale provident fund ?

Good luck to you, I hope that you have a good and long retirement.

Unfortunately those at CX do not enjoy these priveleges and frequently do 90 hours per month - which would have doubled your monthly salary during your time. Roster and life style are continually being eroded -remember you were contracted for 70 hours per month with credits for Reserve duty, Simulator time and positioning.

You suggest "go find somewhere else" .. but where? People have invested a good portion of their working lives to CX. Even if they found a position as a DEC at another airline they could not make up for that lost time and would never enjoy the retirement benefits that you enjoy even if they worked to 65.

Sadly todays' airline industry is not what we enjoyed. The lack of any morality is prevalent in most of today's operators and in that Cathay leads the way and has done since around 1994. Remember COS 94 - sign or you'll never get another pay rise and will never be eligible to go on a base? Remember ASL? I do, I was a victim along with 41 of my loyal colleagues. And then there were the 49ers!!!!

Whereas in our day CX recruited experience, today's CX recruits cheap labour and strives to make that labour cheaper still.

You and I should be grateful for what we have and should have some sympathy for those that thought they were joining a caring and moral Company only to discover, perhaps to late, that the Company they joined is morally bankrupt.