PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Asia Non Type Rated DEC Interview
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2012, 03:32
USnet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those asking for feedback

A couple of hints to those heading to AA interview.
In the past months a percentage of 2 to 4% of those interviewed passed.
Anyway these guys were given a "holding pool" status from where I don't know how and when they will ever get in the company, especially given the stake of Malaysian they bought.
While the initial 2 days are quite normal stuff, the last SIM day is some kind of "end of the world proof" where you are supposed to show if you can handle incredible sequence of malfunctions. At first I thought about it as a "end of upgrade command course" check but now I can tell you it's more than that.
The main thing to keep in mind is that events will not be realistic. For example low visibility procedure in calm winds can suddenly turn in windshear with strong tail winds.
So expect:
- vectors before takeoff towards the mountaineous areas (and well below MSA),
- TCAS and EGPWS during climb,
- some failure that will make you loose one engine (vibrations, FADEC FAULT, XXXX on engine indications, REVERSE UNLOCKED, etc...) plus stalls on the other engine above 60/70% N1 and Fuel Leak.
Plus bad weather and only one airport open with the worst non precision approach procedure you can expect, NAV accuracy downgraded during the approach. Possibly again windshear on final.
In all this noone has yet understood what they are looking for since the "impossible" scenarios you're dipped in don't help to clearly understand what they're looking for.
For example: on departure are you supposed to accept vectors in a montaineous area and then ask for deviation once airborne or simply do not takeoff ? (they will tell you 2 hours delay....).
On approach with just one "very sick" engine (stalling above 50/60% N1) are you supposed to land at all costs (as it would happen in real life accepting speed and vertical speed exceedance or variations) or they want to see you trying to go-around ???
Noone knows.
Another issue regards the persone seated next to you in the SIM, which supposingly is at his first day as an F/O. Very often he will make a mess. Maybe just to to see if you come out of some more sh...t: I don't know if you're supposed to handle him with some good CRM ? or just cancel him from the cockpit and proceed on your own since he is obviously impaired and cannot help in any decision making.

Also: Many guys in the area say it depends on "who" you know in the company.

So guys, my advice is: Noone understand you more than I do since a step from RHS to LHS is a fantastic view BUT in my opinion don't waste your time and money in these "out of the world" interview. Head to some other more serious companies.

Have fun and happy landings.