PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retirement at 68
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2012, 21:38
raven11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Valid points, no one likes a braggart.

But if you reread my post it was in response to some sarcasm and ridicule that suggested that Cathay's training was not as good as training systems in other airlines.....

I said that the Cathay system was not perfect, but second to none....or words to that effect. By saying second to none my point was that it was at least as good as any other system out there. That was the context, and that's how feel.

There is no doubt in my mind that during the eighties and nineties, yes, Cathay's training was more checking than training. During the nineties, as a North American based F/O, there were a couple of individuals that I never wanted to fly with...and we all knew who they were. But those of us who have been here for a while can attest to how much the training system has changed. The bad guys have mellowed, or they have been culled.

In my opinion, Cathay's training system is world class....it has to be! Just look the challenges we face in our day to day operation......management takes for granted that any one of us can safely operate on slippery runways in a snow storm, or into a typhoon, on Yankee One, through tropical storms, during 300 ton landings in a monsoon, a sandstorm in Dubai, or a line check to Manilla...the list is endless. Given some very challenging emergency situations in the past couple of years, our management should thank their lucky stars that we are the pilots we are.

Cathay's training system is not perfect...and we have room to improve.....but it is world class, it has to be for us to survive, and the IOSA audits say so.

I'm proud of who we are and what we do and how we do it!

This airline gets top value from every penny they pay us! That too should be read in the results of the IOSA audits.....and from the annual results reported each March.

Given their recruitment issues....it's no wonder they want to retain their experienced pilots. But does any one of us seriously believe we could fly to age 68?

Most of us won't make 65.