PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - College or Work?
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:34
Joe86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After my GCSE’s I did A-levels, then thought about university to do aerospace engineering, would have cost a lot to do and like yourself all I wanted to do was fly.... Then I made one of the best decision I have ever made and applied for a Airbus apprenticeship, I applied for the craft (shop floor) only needed 3 GCSE’s and I had 4 A-levels (and at first to be honest I was a bit up my own ass about it) and was worried it would be a step backwards... wrong.

I was paid from day 1 to do an NVG in aerospace engineering, I’m a qualified aircraft fitter, systems trained, composite materials trained etc... Now I am an in-service repair engineer on good(ish) money and know Airbus aircraft almost inside out which I’m sure will help me with ATPL exams, hopefully I will have the funds to go integrated next year. Ok I am almost 26 now, but for me this would be the best way to work to get money for flight training.

and after all this Airbus said they would pay for my degree and let me have the time off work to do it So really my point is... get a career that you can fall back on, If I can’t find a flying job after training I will always have a half decent CV to fall back on. For me I feel my 2 A-level years were a complete waste of time. And Kermit your 3rd paragraph is so true that’s the position I’m in now.