PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - College or Work?
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:07
KermitRulesOK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think very carefully about what you want...

I though i'd add my own tale of woe to this thread...

I did an integrated course straight out of A-Levels, graduated with the expensive little blue book in December 2010, had the usual interview most people have with a certain blue and yellow irish airline, but didn't make the cut. Now i'm working in an office and flying fairly regularly at weekends down the flying club whilst sending out CV's and making contacts.

Re-assessing the situation, I think i've made a mistake doign the full blown fATPL. Don't get me wrong, I do love to fly, it's a wonderful skill to have and the people you meet along the way are excellent, but I've come to re-assess my life a bit. You could argue that I should 'sod off' to Africa and get a bush pilot job, which would be a lot of fun and a great experience, but all the SEP bashing in the world doesn't put food on the table and a roof over your head, unless you get lucky with an airline afterwards.

When you think about what's important in life, family, friends and a stable future, then flying starts to become less and less attractive. I don't want to come back to the UK in my late twenties with little to no money and no hope of a descent 'normal' job, especially with everyone around me settling down, getting married and having kids. You can't get those years back. Do I really want to risk my future chasing something that could potentially never happen. I agree, this route is fine for some people and would probably pay off in the end, but you have to have absolute commitment and put up with a lot of crap along the way, even then, i've known lives that have been shattered by trying to break into aviaiton.

I have a placement at University to study a degree in Physics this September (despite Mr Cleggs lovely new funding system), which I intend to start unless something miraculous comes up. Hopefully after i'll move into the Finance or Energy sectors, maybe even Bae of Airbus if it's possible. Flying will always be a big part of my life, i can't wait to save up enough to do my aeros course next year, then maybe even an FI to teach at weekends down the club, who knows, but what i do realise now is that a good education opens a lot more doors than you may not realise now. Stay at Uni, fly for fun. Hindsight is a painful thing.