PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - College or Work?
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2012, 00:02
OMGisThatJohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in a position very similar to you two years ago. I opted to go to university to do a pretty bland course in order to have something to fall back on should flying "not work out" or I decide to not go into aviation.

I'm currently about to complete my second year and drop out for an integrated course (a course of action that average PPruner would abhor as it seems).

The fact is that I have no motivation to continue with the course. I will leave this year with a diploma in the social sciences or some other rubbish, so not completely void of qualification.

Looking back on it, Uni has been a great experience, and if I had chosen a course I was more interested in, rather than one with real-world applications that seemed pragmatic, I would - without a doubt - be staying for another year.

My advice to you is; If there's a course you really want to do, and you can stand the fees without getting into a mountain of debt (read "be Scottish") then go for it. Otherwise, save your debt and time for aviation.

You must finally note, the hard work, debt, and risk that a career in piloting will bring will be n-fold that of a typical graduate job.