PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diamond DA20 vs. Cessna 172 for flight training
Old 2nd May 2012, 19:23
SAS-A321

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Graham@IDC and I did my flight training at MFC and was very impressed with the quality of instructing. This school has many years of experience with training and they train many pilots every year.

Only bad thing to say about the school is that it was sometimes difficult to get a plane, due to the chinese program taking priority.

The DA20 was awesome to fly. The C172 seemed slow and heavy compared to it. The high wing/low wing is not really an issue for navigation, as the wings are not wide and you have the best view from that plane due to the big canopy.
Moncton is a busy airport without getting overcroweded. They have good training areas all around the airport.
You get to experience flying during winter time with deicing/anti icing and possibly taxing on snow/ice. It is cold as , but damn good experience.

As for USA versus Canada - the USA is better recognised worldwide in terms of its licences, but having flown in both environments, I'd say that there's nothing to choose between the two in terms of quality of learning environment.
I doubt that the FAA guy would be prefered if two identical pilots came and one had FAA and the other a Canadian ICAO license, unless you were in Saudi Arabia or South America, where you will not get any job anyway, unless you are local or very experienced.
IMHO the Canadian training is closer to the EASA than FAA.

Good luck with your project.