PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - College or Work?
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2012, 18:22
FlyingSportsman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But unfortunately I dont have a rich "Mummy and Daddy" to fund me through flight training.
Do you really need them? Fine, you may not be able to afford what oxford charge, admittedly 90k is alot of money, and without my parents I'm not sure whether I would have looked at it. But there are schemes, look at the FPP for example, that are made to help out people with the talent, but not the money to fund integrated flight training, people have been seen to save up to half the amount of money on a modular course. You don't have to train at the schools with somewhat dodgy reputations. Also remember there are designated schemes, run by banks like BBVA, for flight training- not sure about your property situation, but perhaps you could work for maybe 1-2 years to save some money and reduce your loan repayments and thus the price of property you need to secure your loan against.

Whilst doing modular you can also work, yes its unlikely that you'll be able to cover the training costs in what you will earn as an 18/19/20 year old, but remember you can work at your pace- i.e complete/continue the training when you have the money. End of the day, you'll come out with the same licence as the rest of the integrated guys, wont start the argument on how likely you are to get a job as modular/integrated there are threads on that. But it just goes to show, there are other ways in, even for those that don't play polo on the weekends