PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which is the best helicopter for training?
Old 16th Dec 2002, 11:59
B47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As the person who started this discussion (on a different thread), a few points bear repeating.

Yes many of us, myself included, are very grateful to Frank Robinson and the R22, as without it we could not have afforded to learn to fly. But, now owning a B47, it's clear that the conversion from R22/R44 is almost like learning to fly all over again. Mechanical aids make you lazy and your brain is not programmed with the necessary reflexes when things go wrong.

I am certain that a governor and assisted carb heat are a bad idea on the 22, or any other trainer. This is not an obscure technical issue about pilot's preferences, but far more serious. More than one self-fly hire R22 pilot who trained with them has died when flying an earlier machine without these aids.

When you consider the number of type ratings the rotary world has to contend with, I think this issue is more important than the differences between some machines. Yes, the automatic car licence anology is a good one.

Aside from the arguments over which is the best machine to train on (it won't change - it'll always be the cheapest), the solution is simple - all training flights should be conducted with these aids switched OFF.

By all means use the governor when starting new exercises, say, hover practice, but predominantly training should be without them.

I think training schools need to look hard at their policy on this issue.