PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you be happy for a loved one flying with a brand new PPL?
Old 1st May 2012, 10:43
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my lady to go up in glider. I'd have flown with her, but the club rules and only few non-instructors authorised to fly the two seaters. Even old K13 isn't given to me, not just twin astir.. She's not too into flying, but she'd like to go up with me, to share some good time.

Regarding taking her up in helicopter, hm. Maybe briefly. We Robbie pilots know that things can go wrong at NO notice and despited being licensed instructor and having great maintenance, I still find it elevated risk compared to bimbling around in glider.

Fixed wing/aeroplane? Yeah, letting someone else fly my family/close ones, I'd like to have some 30-40 hours post-PPL in their logbook. I know how I was and felt. Not to green, not to cocky/laidback. Obviously, it's all case by case basis.

mad_jock,
we agree on this topic of unusual attitudes training, not just avoidance etc. Funnily enough, I wanted to practice actual spins in glider in one US club last year during checkout flight, but we only did it towards incipient and recovered. No emergencies (bar cable breaks) and no aerobatics. I'd not be let go solo in the UK on glider without spin and stall training or recurrent training after long time not flying solo.

Just how the hell are people going to deal with stuff if it really happens? Aggresive spin does freak out first handful of times. Coming to think of it, I've never done full on spin in SEP. I was up for it if enough safety altitude and clearing area, but probably partly due to instructors and partly due to school owner we didn't. How hard could it be in 172? Or Cub? Dang, the 150/152 recovers itself if let go.