PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hainan Airlines
Thread: Hainan Airlines
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2012, 15:25
WhatsaLizad?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWRWATPLX2,

Good brief regarding the Chinese and good advice to heed regarding contracts and money, but your post says as much about yourself as it does the Chinese.

Seriously, you complained about a missing screw in a window latching mechanism, in a simulator used for interviews? Your tone about that and apparently lecturing them about LNAV and other procedures would raise a serious red flag with me if I was in the simulator interviewing a candidate. CA and FO duties? Give me a break, it's an interview. Go with the flow, keep it safe and simple and work around the differences. They want you to use heading select in the terminal area and on LNAV/RNAV approaches? Smile, go ahead and do it and then do it the right way on the line. The fuel pump issue? Just ask them what they want and do it. There is probably a good chance the flunky sim interviewer could have been the bottom of the barrel 737 guy or worse, trying to "straighten him out" probably won't go well no matter what in any country let alone what i've heard about the Chinese. I know the average US airline pilot deals with enough training simulator instructor knuckleheads doing their own thing at companies that have been around for 75 years, and that is speaking the same language. I can only understand the problems with language barriers and the expansion that is going on in China along with their attitudes.

As for the cabs and the unhelpful personel? I've seen the same scam in every country I've been in. I've handled it with everything from a polite request to telling one he would be dead by my hands before he hit the water while driving like a lunatic across a bridge in New York. Unhelpful ticket agents? Again, I've seen the same with my company in the US. I can only imagine the same situation speaking a different language.

It was a valuable post and anyone considering working in China to learn from your experience. Sorry for the nitpicking.