PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take off with snow on wing
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2012, 08:32
de facto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm… sounds pretty skinny … right? Let me ask a question of each pilot out there. Do you remember your first takeoff in ice or snow conditions? How experienced were you in making that kind of takeoff? How much experience should be required of pilots in making takeoffs in ice and snow before we should let them make takeoffs in ice and snow?
I dont remember my first captain take off in snow conditions but I remember my first solo flight.
Every qualified airline captain should be able to read and do procedures laid down in their company FCOM during winter operations.
No need to be Einstein,just be able to read and follow the steps.
Now some captains who have a poor self discipline will tend to disregard standard AND supplementary procedures and this with a lack of winter ops has the potential to end up very badly indeed.
The skills needed to take off on a contaminated runway is purely based on experience/skills and therefore a new pilot in winter ops may have some problems in controlling the aircaft properly and/or during a reject if the case but should not be a danger in itself.

Company SOPs though normally have wind limitations for different level of contamination.

To make a long story short,even a baboon could follow the steps for a successful winter ops take off.
SELF DISCIPLINE is the lacking factor in most cases.

Last edited by de facto; 27th Apr 2012 at 11:06.