PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worldwide Flying Times
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2012, 10:59
Ancient Observer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
All of the large Companies have an "attitude" to travel, which often starts at the top, is then mediated by bureaucrats in beancounting and by morons in purchasing.
Normally the bureaucrats in beancounting and the morons in purchasing do not do any "added value" travel, so they have a view on costs, rather than creating value.

I've lived with 2 extremes. One global biz had a very small central global team. The CEO understood that to make the very small team deliver, they had to travel, globally and frequently.
I wasn't on the "top team" of 7 but was one of 3 "helpers". A grand total of 10 folk running a 3 billion t/o biz.
The CEO was not daft. "If you want more people, you can stop travelling First and Business. Employ more people and travel down the back."
We certainly did not employ any more people when I was there!!

At the other extreme, I worked for a commodity business, where all costs were examined in great detail. We were not only told to fly down the back, we were actively discouraged from flying - anywhere. However, we reviewed the business strategy during a 2 month navel gaze, and it became clear that there was a large market segment, not well served, who wanted more help, more technology and quicker moves from R & D to the market place. "Customer Intimacy" it was called.
Having spent years teaching techies and their managers from Belgium, Holland, France and the UK to save every penny on travel, fortunately the CEO was awake when I pointed out that we would have to change the whole travel policy, and the days off in lieu policy, and so on.
It costs us a few pennies more, but our reputation for customer service in the market shot up when we took off the constraints. At most we paid out 10pence for every pound gained.

Then some nice Americans bought the business, and went back in to costs - out mode. Unsurprisingly, we lost that nice little niche sector we had just grown!