PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA ATP Test in Saudi
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2012, 07:24
justinpalma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First hand experience with GACA Saudi ATP

Having just done the whole process here goes as I really wanted this information prior to going:

A) You take the GACA written ATP test. It is the standard 80 question test used by the FAA. They use old Gliem questions because I took as the exam a Gliem Test Prep set of questions from the study disk program. For sure they are slightly older questions. I have the Gleim book 2010 and ASA disk 2010/2012 and I felt the GACA questions contained considerably older questions.
You are allowed a calculator and I took a CRP5 (E6B) for wind/GS calculations but I seemed to be the only one taking the exam with any form of flight computer.
They use both part 121 and part 135. Bit of a shock for me as I had studied 121 and they gave me 135 as I am on execjets.

B) Straight after the ATP you have to take the AIP exam. They give you two large folders containing the Saudi AIP and then there are 50 questions that effectively you search for the answers. The hardest part of this exam is that the files are so beaten up, the indexes are missing or stuffed in different sections and pages all over the place.

C) Medical. Nothing to mention here. Similar to FAA except I believe the class 1 lasts a year.

D) ELPT. This is a separate department that does the english language proficiency. First half was an oral based on some fifteen preset questions taken from aviation topics and general situations. The second is a headset playout. There is a two page format which outlines a set of scenarios they wish you to play out. They are looking for ICAO language so americanisms like affirmative etc will loose points immediately. They take it quite seriously and expect the same from you. That's it.