PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retirement at 68
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2012, 23:04
Oval3Holer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
raven11, do YOU fly for Cathay? If so, read Vol 7, Part 1. You'll see that the checking standards are the same for captains and copilots. Don't think I'm too stupid to understand that captains need to have gone through the procedure in the CAD-approved company manuals to act as PIC and sign for the aircraft. I know that. I do not disagree with your statement that not anyone with a P1 rating can sign out an aircraft. My point is purely that all Cathay captains and copilots are checked to the same standards (despite having different LIMITS for their operation on the line.) The "command course," as I'll say once again, having DONE IT, was nothing more than checking. I didn't learn anything, and that was not because I'm thick-headed. It's because no one tried to TEACH me anything. I was only criticized for every little thing the checker perceived I did wrong (and often in his own opinion only.)

I don't see how you think I'm trying to diminish our profession. I'm trying to diminish your perception that Cathay's "command course" is a course of teaching and that it's somehow "proper." I think you believe that in order to somehow justify that you've achieved something and are somehow better than those who have not had a "proper command course."

Get off your high horse.

Regarding high-timers and low-timers, Cathay certainly has many of all types. Many, if not most, of the SOs hired these past years are low-timers. But, some are very experienced. I'm only saying that just because someone is a Cathay captain doesn't mean he or she is the most experienced person in the cockpit.

As far as copilots who are not captains because they didn't make it through the minefield which is the "proper command course," no one knows but them and the 3rd floor why they were not annointed "captain." And, many times even THEY do not know why they are "Cat D'd" (another incredible Cathay system.) Now that Cat D is not forever, imagine what will happen when Cathay has an incident and the captain was formerly a Cat D'd copilot. Imagine what the press and the insurance industry and the CAD will do with THAT one!

Yes, I am suggesting that there does not need to be an upgrade process in place. After 12 years of flying the line and being checked AT LEAST three times per year, I think any copilot, when he or she has the appropriate seniority, can be told, "Congratulations! You've passed all your checks to P1 standards, you have a P1 rating and you have enough seniority to be captain. All we need to do is to watch you operate from the left seat for a few sectors and then we'll give you your four bars." Give me an argument as to why this is so inconceivable. Many first-world airlines do it in a similar way.

raven11, you said,
You're dreaming...I am reluctant to spell out the facts for fear that it would it would only dignify your ridiculous notion, but the system does not expect the same level of performance. As a member of that system I can tell you that you are wrong. To suggest that the system would expect that someone like Primed, after 300 to 500 hundred hours of in-seat experience, to perform at the same level as a line Captain during his PC is not only plain wrong it is patently absurd (hence the 10 knot and 15 knot limit placed on F/O's; hence the PCA, T sims, CALC, board assessment and "command course" gauntlet before upgrade to captain is authorized).

Look at Vol 7, Part 1. THERE are the facts. Captains and copilots are assessed to the SAME STANDARD. The crosswind limits for copilots are for LINE OPERATIONS NOT CHECKING!

Read your books, man.