PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hired...or not hired after all???
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2012, 10:05
what next

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good morning!

Welcome to the "normal" world of corporate aviation gentlemen.
I would rather say: Welcome to the normal world in difficult/unstable times.

Airlines are better then corporate aviation in that respect? Not really. The large airlines in Germany have made substatial losses in 2011 and have put their recruitment programs on hold. I know a pilot who has passed all the tests of one of these airlines last winter and was promised employment in spring. He has consequently cancelled his current employment contract in GA (in time to give his long-term employer a chance to find a successor which they did) only to be told by his "dream airline" that they can not hire him in 2012... Stranded with no job and no unmployment pay because it was he himself who terminated his employment. Welcome to the wonderful world of airlines!

In general, employment laws in Germany are among the most employee-friendly in the world. BUT they only apply to companies with more then ten employees and only after six months and a day on the job. So you really only have a safe job (if anything like that exists at all, especially in aviation) after six months, including your first and/or second OPC which will be scheduled accordingly(!) within a substantially large company.

Cecco: If I get a new bizjet pilot job, I won't tell anyone about it until I've been there for at least six months!
Excellent idea! You really have no friends within the "pilot fraternity", at least not in difficult times. Almost twenty years ago I made the mistake to tell a buddy (whom I had flown with quite a lot) that I had sent in an application for an interesting job I had heard of. He called them on the phone right after I was out of sight and got the job...
Therfore, I never signed up with facebook, t witter, xing and the likes (and never will) because the best thing you can do is fight for yourself and be invisible as much as possible.

Better luck next time!
max