PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retirement at 68
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2012, 00:31
raven11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oval.....my goodness, where do I begin??

You say: "Although some at Cathay TREAT copilots as lower-class citizens, the checking system expects the same level of performance from all pilots with a P1 rating."

You're dreaming...I am reluctant to spell out the facts for fear that it would it would only dignify your ridiculous notion, but the system does not expect the same level of performance. As a member of that system I can tell you that you are wrong. To suggest that the system would expect that someone like Primed, after 300 to 500 hundred hours of in-seat experience, to perform at the same level as a line Captain during his PC is not only plain wrong it is patently absurd (hence the 10 knot and 15 knot limit placed on F/O's; hence the PCA, T sims, CALC, board assessment and "command course" gauntlet before upgrade to captain is authorized).

If what you suggest is true, that all P1 rated pilots are tested to the same standard, then there would not be an upgrade process in place...we would just make everyone a Captain upon upgrading to F/O. Is that what you suggest is happening now?

And then you double down by saying: "I bet if you get the information (which you can't) you'd find that many of Cathay's copilots have more flight time and more experience in more types of aircraft flying in more varied locations than many of Cathay's captains."

Are you serious? Do you even fly for Cathay? I don't even know where to begin on that tid bit. Unless your claim of F/O's with more experience than our Captains include the number of F/O's who have failed to pass the Captain course; or the number of F/O's who are categorized as Cat D after two failed Command Course attempts,... F/O's who will never be given another chance at an upgrade?Are you suggesting that Cathay hired low timers in the past but today we are hiring high timers? That claim is just laughable...

Then you say: "Well, I would say that would be anyone the CAD has licensed with a P1 rating! It's Cathay who determines who among those with a P1 rating are captains and who are copilots, not the CAD."

Wrong again....Upgrade to Captain is determined via a CAD approved process, carried out by CAD approved examiners, and the whole process is audited by the CAD. Only an authorized and CAD approved Captain can sign out an aircraft, not just anyone with a P1 rating. In other words, only someone who has completed a "proper upgrade".

You claim to be a line Captain.......that I find hard to believe. As I said to you in an earlier post, you are diminishing what we do by making the same arguements senior airline managers do in order to justify cutting salaries. Shame on you.