PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stop moaning and P2F or get out
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 22:44
tarmac12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not everything is hours

I would like to state firstly that anyone who has a job lined up on a biz jet before he has even finished training shouldn't be telling everyone else how the industry works.

After starting aviation late and taking literally years to land my first job I have finally made it to a position where I have some input into hiring and firing. I saw a Resume yesterday that was such a mess I had to ask if it was serious. The boss said it was and he had interviewed the guy as a walk in. We were actually looking for someone and he rolled in and asked for a job. He was ferrying a plane through our area and had stopped for lunch. He later sent in his Resume which unfortunately got him un hired. Now this guy seems capable of doing ferries but his written skills were so sub standard we wouldn't be able to let him work commercial ops.

Also got a resume from a guy who had paid for multi engine piston time on a type we operate. We know he paid cause it was all ICUS and from a company that is well known for the practice. He could fly the plane but his situational awareness and radio work were poor. He didn't get a job. We took on a 300 hour guy who could spell, spoke without saying the word like 15 times a sentence and wore clothing you would expect for an interview.

All this is leading to the point that having the minimum 500 or whatever hours on type wont get you a job if your not a good all round package. Now some P2f ers will get a job at the end cause they will have the all round package but couldn't get that first break. The majority will be where they were before because maybe it was the personal attribute side that was holding them back. Not the low hours.

I started my CPL training with about 20 others and I think 6 of us have flying jobs. Two of those 6 had jobs lined up before they started. I asked one of my old instructors a couple of years ago if he knew who of us would land a job and who wouldn't. He reeled off the names of the 6 who I mentioned before and only one guy he thought would be hired wasn't. He said they know within the first 6 weeks who will make it.