PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spitfires found in Burma
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 21:47
sharksandwich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lot of naysayers eating humble pie over on the P40 thread......
The Spits will be unearthed alright -we are not talking about Nessie or the Yeti, these planes really existed 70 years ago and ended up somewhere.The only question is the condition they will be in. The Saharan P40 would, I am sure, have been salvaged years ago if it was somewhere accessible.Here is a FW190 in pretty good nick after a forced landing many decades ago:
More info (from ww2info.net):"I thought I recognized this Fw-190 video. Its the Fw-190A-5/U3 of 4/JG 54 werk 1501227 know as White A or factory code DG+HO.

It was reportedly brought down by flak after a fighter bomber sortie in the area of Voibakala. Pilot Feldwebel Paul Ratz taken prisoner by Russian's. Released in the 1950's and was repatriated to germany where he died shortly before the aircraft was recovered. Recovered in 1990 and shipped to UK and sold to Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection, Seattle in 1999

Current location is at JME Aviation in Norfolk UK and registered as N19027. Its hoped to have engine test's some time in 2006.

Interesting thing is that flak was not the real cause of the crash. During engine strip down they found uniform rag's in the oil lines.

Its in the classic wings magazine vol 12 No5 2005 Issue 53".

Attached Thumbnails