PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take off with snow on wing
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 17:41
Rabski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I’m not sure how many more times I’ll have to say this to get the point across ... the accident airplane DID NOT crash because of the accumulation of snow fall experienced between the gate and the takeoff. The aircraft crashed because it was deiced with hot water – that process specifically deposited water on the entire aircraft – fuselage, wings, engine inlets, everything. Where upon that water promptly froze – deforming the wings, and producing the effect that the B-737 had been known for doing – producing the same effect that almost crashed the B-737 departing from Oslo, Norway on that same day – producing an unexpected and uncontrollable pitch-up – to a point that was not recoverable – regardless of what control application was applied by the flight crew. This was not a “one-in-three” chance of snow fall exposure resulting in an accident - the reason that the airplane preceding the accident airplane and the airplane following the accident airplane did NOT crash is that they were merely exposed to the same snow fall experienced by the accident airplane – NEITHER of them were deiced with WATER – as WAS the accident airplane."

You can say it as many times as you like, but you will still be missing the basic point.

It doesn't matter whether you have ben de-iced with standard fluids, hot water or Bishop's Finger mixed with Baileys, as a flyer, it's YOUR responsibility to ensure surfaces are clean before aiming at the blue bit. How bloody complicated is this FFS?

Left seat? YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.

YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO MAKE SURE IT'S ALL CLEAN.

So, it wasn't proerly de-iced and it froze again. IME, nothing new there.

FFS, it's really not that difficult is it?

OK, somebody didn't de-ice properly. The de-icing mixture wasn't correct. The Lear Jet in front of me didn't blow the snow off the way I expected, etc. etc.

Christ, despite my comments in another thread, I hope to hell I never get anyone with your attitudes in the RH seat when I'm flying.

I want to live to retirement thank you. If that means spending some of my employers' hard earned on excessive de-icing, then I couldn't care in the slightest.

Beats the hell of of the alternative...