PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take off with snow on wing
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2012, 17:08
DOVES

DOVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AirRabbit
Code:
Nevertheless you will agree with me that the following illegalities were committed:
Code:
 - They did not insert Engine Anti-ice after start, and did not perform the periodic engine run up.
At 1538:16 while accomplishing after-start checklist items, the captain responed “off” to the first officer’s callout of checklist item ‘anti-ice.”… …During preparation of the CVR transcript, members of the CVR group could not agree on the response to the checklist callout “anti-ice”. The majority believed that the response was “off,” but that word was put in parentheses in the transcript to indicate questionable text. The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Audio Laboratory was requested to perform an independent examination of that portion of the tape. The FBI concluded that the response to the checklist callout “anti-ice” was “off.” … … Each of the two engines was equipped with a thermal anti-ice system, composed of three anti-ice valves which are designed to open when the respective engine anti-ice switch is placed ON. The inlet guide vanes and nose cones use 8th stage compressor bleed air and the cowl anti-ice system uses 13th stage air. The left engine’s 8th and 13th stage engine bleed air ducting on the right side of the engine was crushed between the 1:30- and 4:00- o’clock positions. The engine’s nose cowl thermal anti-ice valve was closed. The main bleed air valve was closed, The fuel heat valve was closed. The left inlet guide vane anti-ice valve was closed. The right inlet guide vane anti-ice valve was open and free to rotate. The air turbine starter was not visibly damaged. The right engine’s right inlet guide vane anti-ice valve was closed. The left inlet guide vane anti-ice valve was not recovered. The nose cowl anti-ice valve was closed. The engine bleed valve was closed. The modulation/shutoff valve was closed.The fuel heat valve was closed. The air turbine starter exhibited no visible damage. The pressurization and bleed control was not visibly damaged. The control was disassembled and no mechanical discrepancies were noted, except that it was clogged with water and dirt. The 8th stage and two 13th stage antisurge bleed valves functioned normally.
Code:
They tried invain to push back (the tug connected) through the use of reverse (thus raising clouds of snow and slush).
Adcording to the tug operator, the aircraft’s engines were started and both reversers were deployed. He then advised the flightcrew to use only “idle power.” Witnesses estimated that both engines were operated in reverse thrust for a period of 30 to 90 seconds. During this time, several Air Florida and American Airlines personnel observed snow and/or slush being blown toward the front of the aircraft. When the use of reverse thrust proved unsuccessful in moving the aircraft / back, the engines were shut down with the reversers deployed.
Code:
They knew they had snow on the wings, so that they approached the preceding DC9, in the vain hope that their jet engines would swept it away.
…At 1540:42, the first officer continued to say,. “it’s .been a while since we’ve been deiced.” At 1546:21, the captain said: “Tell you what, my windshield will be deiced, don’t know about my wings.” The first officer then commented, “well--all we need is the inside of the wings anyway, the wingtips are gonna speed up on eighty anyway, they’ll shuck all that other stuff.” … At 1548:59, the first officer asked, “See this difference in that left engine and right one. The captain replied, “Yeah.” The first officer then commented, “I don’t know why that’s different - less it’s hot air going into that right one, that must be it -- from his exhaust - it was doing that at the chocks 5/ awhile ago. . . .ah.” At 1551:54, the captain said, “Don’t do that - Apple, I need to get the other wing done.”
Code:
They started the take off run 50 minutes after the de-icing.
…The deicing/anti-icing of Flight 90 was completed at 1510. … …At 1559:46, the sound of engine spool up was recorded, ….
Code:
They accepted a very little separation with the landing traffic despite the poor visibility and the snow storm. (If they had to abort the takeoff? If the others were to go around?)
Code:
They underestimated the irregularity of the engines parameters for takeoff
…Between 1600:05 and 1600:10, the first officer stated, “. . . that’s not right. . .,” to which the captain responded, “Yes it is, there’s eighty.” The first officer reiterated, “Naw, I don’t think that’s right.” About 9 seconds later the first officer, added, “. . . maybe it is,” but then 2 seconds later, after the captain called, “hundred and twenty,” the first officer said, “I don’t know.”
Code:
They had found that the acceleration was so poor that they had reached 120 knots after 45 seconds.
From 1559:46 to 1600:21
Code:
They began to rotate as per “the soft field” (I began to hear such an expression only since I'm instructing in general aviation) and then starting the rotation well before Vr.
...and 1558:37, the first officer asked, “Slush (sic) runway, do you want me to do anything special for this or just go for it.” (The first officer was the pilot flying the aircraft.) The captain responded “unless you got anything special you’d like to do.” The first officer replied: “Unless just take off the nosewheel early like a soft field takeoff or something; I’ll take the nosewheel off and then we’ll let it fly off.”
Let’s shout together: “HOW CAN YOU KNOW IF ANY KIND OF SNOW IS ‘ADHERING’ TO THE SURFACES OF YOUR AIRPLANE, AND NO ICE IS BENEATH IT, IF YOU DON'T REMOVE IT?” “No clean aircraft? No Fly!” Fly Safe DOVE