PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job with Norwegian on a Parc contract
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2012, 16:05
KristianNorway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There seems to be certain misunderstandings in here. I think some people in here don't know that there exists no legal framework that protects contractors. Especially not when it comes to industrial actions. That means they can't strike. It's illegal.
That's part of the problem with these contracts. Get enough contract pilots into Norwegian, and you practically shave off your negotiating power, which in any democratic society is what balances corporate power in relation to workers.
The possibility to strike is a legal tool unions utilize to put pressure on management, and normally pilots are protected by this legal framework.
No one would just set the parking brake one day without legal protection backing them, and we can't expect that from contractors.

That is, I really hope captplaystation and other contractors would step up and join the fight if they could. Other than that I don't see why contractors should have a voice in this at all. They have neither obligations when it comes to the union, nor rights. This is, as was said, the Norwegian pilots' fight.
And I really hope you succeed. You have all my support. I'm counting on you for my future in this business.

Last edited by KristianNorway; 21st Apr 2012 at 16:35.