PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BEST CFS AC
Thread: BEST CFS AC
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2012, 11:33
Old-Duffer

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Gazelle

I've only ever been upside down in a helicopter once and that was near RAE Bedford in about 1988. A fine chap in dark blue offered me a go, which it would have been rude to decline. As we were stooging along, he said something along the lines of: 'are your straps really tight because I haven't tried this recently?' Over we went in roll and it was a bit alarming at first but after that I knew what to expect.

Years later, the school at which I help with the CCF, had a visit from an Army version of same bouncing African animal. The pilot was taking several cadets at a time for a brief flip but the (ex-Para) school RSM insisted on making himself 'ground i/c' despite my best efforts to persuade him to leave it to me. On landing and before being cleared by the pilot, said RSM tried to open the locked passenger door and when it wouldn't budge he applied some prime para regt beefcake and ripped the bloody door off its hinges - end-ex for cadet flying that day! and exit one pi%^&d off AAC pilot with door secured by rope back to Middle what'sit.

The only good thing is that every now and again I get the chance to remind him of the occasion.

Old Duffer