PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar pilots fatigued?
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2012, 01:39
Trevor the lover

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Scrubba, I feel you are being a bit naive concerning Lookleft's post.

Lookleft has basically stated that a Captain's responsibilities go beyond collecting the paycheck and aspects of that night's performance were severely flawed.

As pilots we cannot cite fatigue as a reason/excuse for a stuff up on sector 1, and then blast off and fly sector number 2. Doesn't cut it I'm afraid.

The caveat on that though is a VERY BIG caveat. We all know that in JQ, citing fatigue or insufficient rest does not go down well when pulling out of a duty. You may get away with it once or twice - but in the end, companys like this feel that their responsibility ends with "providing opportunity for adequate rest." ie CAO 48 approved rest times. What is ignored totally and what is not accepted, is the reality of disturbed rest or the reality of simply finding it difficult to adjust sleep patterns on rosters that do not consider circadian disrythmia and all the science of sleep studies.

Should never have flown that second sector (or probably even the first).

Jetstar management - start trusting your aircrews, if they say they are are not adequately rested or are fatigued, believe them and make provisions for still getting the passengers safely where they have paid to go. Cut the punitive and childish retribution against crews just trying to take their responsibilities seriously.