PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar pilots fatigued?
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2012, 23:42
framer

Received 494 Likes on 132 Posts
Sorry I'm still not sure what you mean. DO you mean that there was quick promotion to command a while back and as a result the company has inherited a group of poor performing Captains? I don't fly for Jetstar so I am not familiar with the demographics you speak of. I have just read the report and agree that there was very little "Command" of the flight during the approach phase.

The FO reported going to sleep at about 0130 on the morning of the occurrence and being woken by a phone call from housekeeping at about 0430. He had dozed until getting up at 0630 to go for a jog and did not get any other sleep prior to crew sign on at 1315.
So he got a call from housekeeping at 0430 resulting in an initial 3hrs of sleep uninterupted, then only dozed for 2 more hours prior to getting up. Five hours total sleep with two hours of that dozing. If that is not enough to then do a Singapore return duty, what options were open to the F/O as far as reporting not fit for duty? How would the company have dealt with it if he had reported unfit to fly due to not being able to get enough sleep during the rest period?

Both pilots reported having attended fatigue risk management training and felt satisfied that they were able to judge their own level of fatigue and fitness in respect of being able to perform their duties.
My bold there. With the wealth of research data available reporting that one of the effects of fatigue is an inability to judge your own level of fatigue, does the ATSB really sanction such statements?