PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retirement at 68
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2012, 03:32
Iron Skillet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come on, enough with this crosswind crap. There are above average and below average pilots of all ranks. In fact, it could be statistically argued that exactly half (minus 1) of the pilots are below average! Yet, they all manage to land all the time (ok, 99.999999999% of the time). I am at best just another average guy, and I think it was my 4th or 5th training sector when the STC had me land in a 30kt x-wind and never took his hands off his lap. Pilots with proper training and experience know how to fly airplanes.

Being a captain has very little to do with winning the flying contest, and very much to do with leadership, trustworthiness, qualifications and experience. Well, it should, anyway.

There are plenty of JFO's and SFO's and CN's who flew plenty of aircraft to their design limit while in their 20's: From 767's to F/A-18's to Hercs to helicopters on ships to ATR-42's to C-17s to Twin Otters to dodgy little light twins, and except for the 767, I bet all of them are trickier to land than a 747/777/A330, x-wind or not.