PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retirement at 68
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2012, 12:38
Flap10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So...the crosswind limit is in place is due to cheaper insurance rates......doesn't that spell it out for you?

The reason the insurance actuaries and the insurance companies
place a premium on experience level should then be obvious to you..should it not?
errr..all it does Raven is it puts a blanket requirement not taking into account years of experience or anything else. Are you telling me a year one Captain is better at x-wind landings than a 12 year SFO??? Are you magically bestowed with superior x-wind skills once you go through a command course??? In fact as it happens so often, many go though the entire command course without ever experiencing any significant x-winds. There is absolutely nothing in the command syllabus that states you have to demonstrate a max x-wind landing to the trainer/checker. You would be released after your 4 bar into a typhoon and have no limits.....doesn't that spell it out for you?

You're trying to justify your point by constantly comparing a brand new inexperienced JFO to an experienced captain. We are comparing experienced SFOs to experienced captains, so lets keep the debate on the same playing field.

There is a direct actuarial link between lack of experience and aviation misshaps.
I hardly call a 10-12 year SFO as having lack of experience. In fact at Cathay the biggest blunders were made by the most senior captains, whilst the most talked about successful emergency landing was by a fairly new captain.....what does that tell you?

All 711 is rightly trying to say is that you can't use the excuse of experience for justifying your stay beyond 55. It's a poor and invalid argument. Frankly if you wish to stay to 65 and fly middle of the night BOMs, then by all means fill your boots. Personally I am out at 55, life is too short, as we were sadly reminded so recently.