PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take off with snow on wing
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2012, 21:31
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 8sugarsugar
I was under the impression that the crew never firewalled the throttles, even AFTER airborne.

The aircraft pitches up to 22 degrees, with both hands on the yoke pushing down with all their might, how many of us would take a hand off the yoke and push the throttles forward?

I believe the crew is wrongly criticized for pilot error "at this point" in the error chain. We are all human and without prior experience or knowledge, it would have happened to every single one of us.

Its human factors, in our brain we set T/O EPR, uncommanded pitch to 22degrees, stick shaker, we push down with all our might with both hands...

the end
Actually, they did get both throttles to the firewall … but it was far too late for that to have had any effect on things. However, we should recognize that with the underslung engines on the B-737 any increase in thrust is going to provide a tendency to further rotate around the lateral axis (i.e., pitch up). When being nose-up is the problem, not many would think that adding a nose-up pitching moment would be a very smart thing to do.

I know that I indicated that most people believed that it would take a minimum of 22 – 24 degrees of pitch to actually enter an aerodynamic stall – where buffeting of the airplane could not be overlooked. If you consider any of the eye-witness accounts to be even close to accurate, the airplane achieved substantially more than 22 – 24 degrees of pitch. Several eye-witnesses estimated the pitch to be higher than 30 degrees and a couple estimated the pitch attitude to be 40 degrees. These estimates were not given as numerical values - each witness formed an angle with his/her hands and the investigator selected the numerical value he thought was appropriate. And, as I’ve pointed out on more than one occasion, the F/O clearly said that what he was going to do was “…take the nose wheel off and then we'll let it fly off.” How much pitch attitude do you think would have been just enough to raise the nose gear off the surface? The other question would be … just how surprised would you be if, when planning to rotate to something like 10 or 12 degrees of pitch, as you begin to move the control column aft, the airplane rotates up to 12 degrees and immediately goes up to 20 … then 25 … then 30 … then 35 degrees! You have your flying partner yelling in your ear “…come on forward. Forward. Just barely climb. Forward. Forward.” What do you think you’d be doing?