PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tropic Air PNG
Thread: Tropic Air PNG
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2012, 07:38
OOC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an ex CP at TA about 5 years ago I find the comments interesting from both the positive and the not so positive, my comments below are based on my 2 years at the company with Tewson my right hand man doing the job of 10 GM.

Firstly I look back my time at TA as an amazing experience and truly unforgettable on all accounts, the days were always challenging mainly in turn from the PNG flying and living or surviving environment.

PNG is an unforgiving flying environment with rugged and high terrain, ever changing weather, one way airstrips and even the lone raskol that high jacked my plane.....but I survived.

Anyhow I'll summaries my thoughts and you can make your own conclusion if you're considering the move, remembering this is based on my experiences and not with new GM or CP but would imagine the shell is the same.

Positives
1) Close to max flying hours per year (just what a new junior pilot needs)
2) Very well maintained C208s and King Airs, gives you great confidence in your machine when you're under the pump.
3) Flying variety, VFR, IFR, day, night, regular runs and various one off charters.
4) Excellent training, minimum of 100 hours ICUS in PNG experience due insurance company requirement. Extra training provided if newbee is not meeting standards, but expect to be cut if not cutting the mustard after 150 hours.
5) Quick progression from line pilot, C208 to King Air and other opportunities like training or CP if you desire such roles.
6) Good progression to other PNG companies like PX or APNG flying Dash8 or F100.
7) Ex Drivers TA - All have gone onto great positions from airlines in Australia, Asia and Middle East or other well respected local PNG companies.
8) Accomodation provided - ok for PNG standards.
9) Planes washed, loaded, refueled, charters sourced for you and any other help is only a Wontok away. Outback OZ expect to be doing all this yourself.

Negatives
1) Money is ok but don't expect to retire as in most GA jobs.
2) No Super, tried negotiating this many a times with CEO but no joy. By PNG law its not mandatory and even PX do not pay it unless you elect to salary sacrifice.
3) CEO is tough but fair long as you behave and act like a professional, some lads just always managed to find trouble.....must have been something in the water.
4) Port Morseby base is tough as its a ****hole but some how we managed to have a good time on the SP and out on the boat.
5) Limited holidays but the occasional maintenance trip to Cairns help keep your sanity especially when you see the backpackers after being surrounded by the local PNG merris and SP.
6) Tax in PNG is approx 5% higher and no tax returns as the local government is not going to give away a Kina when graft and corruption is ripe.

Take it for what it is and build some rapid experience and your career will be on the way.........don't expect airline conditions and you won't be too disappointed.

Hot tip don't stay in PNG too long or your colour vision may start to fade especially with the local SP juice.

Lukim u Wontoks