PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take off with snow on wing
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2012, 05:08
Cagedh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you take off with this much snow on the wing?

My previous post did not get any attention. Is that because there's still a "I'm new here"-banner under my username or because people don't bother to open the links I posted and do the reading I suggested?

So, I thought that inserting the picture itself in the post might get your attention.

http://www.chirp.co.uk/downloads/CCFB/CCFB33.pdf
Since you're probably to lazy to open the link and read the article on page 2, I'll paste the text here:

"IMPORTANCE OF DE -ICING …
Report Text: I was flying as a passenger on another (Non-UK EU) airline. My company has a policy that if it is snowing, all aircraft must be de-iced prior to departure.
On the outbound flight we we re boarding during a light snow shower and no snow had accumulated on the wings yet the Captain informed us that we would have a delayed departure while we were waiting to be de-iced.
However, on the inbound flight the aircraft arrived during a heavy snow flurry which continued whilst we boarded. It continued to snow and ceased shortly
before the front and rear doors were closed. We then started to taxi with the snow on the wings. I was 3 rows behind the overwi ng exit and noticed that
the LHS wing surfaces were covered in snow. I presumed that based on my experiences with my company and also on the outbound flight that there
would be a delay while we were de-iced. After the safety demonstration, I asked the SCCM if it was normal to leave without being de-iced whilst there was snow on the wings?, to which he/she immediately replied without
looking at the wing, "The Captain says it's OK" (or words to that effect).
We shortly afterwards entered the runway, accelerated and took-off with the vast majority of the snow remaining coated to the wing. The flight proceeded with no problems although ice remained on the wing in
certain areas (see photograph taken 20 mins into flight). The wing was visibly not clear of snow/ice with approximately 10 mins to landing.
I was concerned that the SCCM did not respond to a flight safety observation from a passenger. It might also be worth noting that the inbound flight was
early and we pushed-back app rox 10-15 mins early, this meant that sufficient time was available to de-ice without picking-up a delay.
"

This looks like it was wet snow which fell on a sub zero wing surface and froze to it. Perhaps on the ground it didn't look as bad as the snow on Aeroflot's wing, but if you compare the picture of the wings once airborn, this case was even more dangerous then the Aeroflot flight. Which airline would this be?