PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ABERDEEN
Thread: ABERDEEN
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2012, 09:35
Richard Taylor
Fit like min?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airlines are usually coy when it comes to expansion & looking at any particular route. Standard phrases are used, such as 'always looking at viable opportunities', 'no current plans' & 'xxx airport could be something for the future'. Eastern, Flybe & Jet2 respectively.

The recent survey carried out by Aberdeen Airport might give them some pointers as to what routes & which airlines to pitch to. Then again, we've had surveys before that appear to have gathered dust. Thankfully, the BAA do seem to be taking a more pro-active approach to ABZ now, & the healthy growth in passenger figures may help any case. But I sense among the UK airlines a reluctance to commit to expanding at ABZ. Maybe that is a misplaced perception on my part. But it may also be understandable, given the state of the world economy & high fuel prices - as well as the current rumpus over APD - that airlines the world over (if you exclude Emirates!!) are being cautious. And airport management have previously said that it takes time to put in place all the ingrediants for an airline to start a route, not to say that airlines may already have the aircraft tied up elsewhere. I've never been the biggest advocate of BAA, but I think they are actively pursuing opportunities at ABZ - not before time, some might say!

They have commented recently that their focus is currently on expanding leisure opportunities out of ABZ - but I can't see it now for this summer (they had been hoping to bring forward any plans airlines might have had for ABZ from 2013 to this year). The loss of MON & GSM have never really been fully addressed. Barrhead Travel brought back AGP & PMI last year, but appears only AGP will be back for S12. Which brings me back to reluctance of other airlines, that ABZ had to rely on Barrhead (not an airline) to relaunch lost services as no other airline was willing or able to do it themselves.

Will be interesting to see what will become of competitive LHR services. The 7 slot pairs domestically are for EDI AND/OR ABZ, so will Virgin live up to the hype & back up their words with deeds? Will Aer Lingus bid for the slots? And will either use them for ABZ, ABZ/EDI...or solely EDI? Or indeed neither!!

Re Cityjet, they won't come onto LHR, but they were supposed to be evaluating a LCY service. I noticed some local businessmen quoted last week that such a service would be desirable & convenient. Again though, not sure anything will happen quickly, certainly not for summer.

There were other quotes in an earlier report that businesses were hoping for the likes of Calgary, New York, Houston & yes, Dubai - the latter courtesy of Taqa, the ME-based oil co. that have a UK North Sea subsidiary based near Aberdeen.