PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take off with snow on wing
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2012, 19:52
ManaAdaSystem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I have a tiny bit of experience in winter ops, and there is one thing that always amazes me when we have these discussions: Other pilots who says that deicing of aircraft is on some occasions worse than not deicing.
For all of you:

Please state how many aircraft have crashed because they deiced, and how many have crashed because they did not?
As far as Russia goes, over the years, there seem to have been a number of aircraft that for some unknown reason just crashed just after take off.

On the issue of powder snow and low temperatures (the video we are discussing in this thread has nothing to do with this phenomena), yes, certain snow textures (feather like) and very low temperatures will let the snow blow right off. In fact, even the slightest wind will prevent the snow for accumulating.
I'm happy to go without deicing as long as the snow blows off during taxi out, but the only way to confirm this is to taxi via the deice area. A quick inspection from the deice team confirming clean wings, and I'm happy to taxi for takeoff without any worries. This costs nothing and only takes a minute.
If there is anything on the wing, deice is my only option.

And no, this will not endanger my flight.

What these Aeroflot guys did was criminal, plain and simple!

Last edited by ManaAdaSystem; 13th Apr 2012 at 20:47.