PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meeting Virgin Blue Minimums
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2002, 02:14
tightcannon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey Zone I will have a go at your Q

Yes VB are expanding but essentially the same information is used to operate. By that I mean that Vb have 3-4-7-800 some with winglets and different eng configs. at the end of the day the data is all presented in the same way and operationally there are very few differences. The are only two classics and a fair percentage of pilots are not required to fly them. those of us that do all flew the classic for a while before the NG so its no a big problem. as for the other facets of the operation flying into different ports is the same as any flying, You research before you go there and look at the gotcha's. I dont think any VB pilot would say that the ops manual and other paperwork is really well done and it is being refined all the time, eventually it will sort it self out (fingers crossed). As to other expansion problems well that happens in any company and you just get used to it, it sort of makes life interesting having tail changes and diversions from the planned roster. as to all the over worked comments- yes the captains work hard but the Fo's dont seem to do more than 60-70 hours a month, in fact i average 16 days off a month not including hollidays. As far a the EBA goes yes its a pain not being paid as much as we would like but i guess we are all hopefull that it will sort itself out by next year.
So here are the positives.

1. we work under CAO 48
2. we get to fly brand new aeroplanes
3. we get to fly with great guys and girls
4. you get to live in SE QLD
5. the FA's are good fun
6. you dont have to put up with the GA or regional airline problems
7. we overnight in Per,Syd,Mel,Hob,Lst,Dwn,CG,Tsv,Cns, Adl soon to be Cbr ????

and some negatives
1. We dont earn as much as our counterparts
2. we work for a company that is very different in its management style
3. we have to pay for our own endorsement
4. that paperwork can be a pain
5. the ansett sim sucks
6. we do a couple of bad duty flights
- bn-dn-bn red eye
- ph-ml-bn-sy red eye
- ph-sy-bn-sy
- ph-ml-lt-ml

I guess at the end of the day those who hate the company will always bag it as will those who dont know it, but what is the other choice (other than QF,NJ,Impulse,Alliance), a Saab or Dash 8, there is nothing wrong with the turb-props but you earn even less and get to fly in icing and turblulence more of the time. i guess its you choice.