PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - 2
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2012, 10:23
vectisman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA Gatwick

I would like to add my own comments about the staff reductions at Gatwick and counter some of the inevitable shut it down and moveto Heathrow views that will probably emerge. I have submitted a similar post elsewhere but for once feel I want to have my say across different forums. I hope that is ok.
In my opinion closing the Gatwick base would be rather short sighted. OK, BA isgaining 42 slots at Heathrow with the BMI slots many of which it wishes to use to develop new routes and strengthen its overall network. This welcome expansion will only bring brief relief to capacity constraints in the short/medium term. Even with the BMI slots there is no way BA could transfer all its operations to Heathrow. Every transfer takes up a slot that could be used forroute development at Heathrow. Also many people seem to overlook the fact thatfor BA to expand at Heathrow another British Airline has been 'lost'. You couldlook at it as a similar number of passengers being carried just with a different carrier. Although I accept BA will probably do so more efficiently and in greater numbers. True expansion at Heathrow will only come with a'bigger Heathrow'.

Currently in the summer BA can have up to 62 Departures a day from Gatwickcarrying about 5 million passengers a year. What company would give away 5million passengers to other airlines? There is also the consequence of losing the brand presence etc... I believe that with foresight and commitment to offering a good and cost effective product BA can run 3 profitable and well regarded London bases(Heathrow, Gatwick and City) Ihope this cost reduction works and in the long term safeguards the base and leads to more employment opportunities there. The company needs to be brave enough to invest in aircraft and routes. It is interesting that on the routeson which it competes with Easyjet it seems to hold its own quite well. In same cases it has been Easyjet that has reduced capacity to certain destinations.

There is also the human cost that has to be considered (unfashionable I know)but it is rather too simple to say that close the base and transfer all the profitable routes to Heathrow. I know the arguments about yield etc.. but hopefully this restructuring could help adress that.

The day may also come when the government finds it more politically acceptableto encourage the expansion of Gatwick (i.e. with a 2nd runway) than at Heathrow(i.e. 3rd runway). BA would find it difficult to start up again there if thatwere to happen.
I also doubt that BA would walk away from at least 62 slot pairs at London's2nd airport.
The base does have a loyal following and is well regarded by passengers.
I believe that BA made a serious tactical error by not purchasing GB Airways a few years back, but that is history now.

I also am not at all anti Easyjet having flown with them several times. However all airports need to offer choice and BA/Easyjet both being at Gatwick isimportant to passengers and keeps both airlines competitive. ‘One airline’airports are not in anybody’s interests. At Heathrow BA has many others to keep it on its toes. Likewise at Gatwick Easyjet also needs others to keep it focused. For example introduction of allocated seating, improved easykiosk etc.. (Would these have happened without the presence of competing airlines?)

I apologise for rambling on and fully expect to be shouted down but I feel better for having made my comments and that's what matters to me!!

Finally I wish all staff affected at Gatwick well and hope they do not have toendure a long period of uncertainty and in some cases long periods of unemployment.
I would also like to stress I have no connection with BA.
V.