PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take off with snow on wing
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2012, 09:36
The Bartender

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sabenaboy
The captain also suggested that to the de-icing team. Apparently first they laughed at him and told him he would have to do that himself at that temperature and then more seriously explained him that brooming the snow off the wings is a less good idea because you would inevitably compact the snow on some spots on the wing and that the snow might get brushed into flight control hinges. Sounds acceptable to me as well!
Not a pilot myself (microlights and models don't count in here, right?), but as a former sprayer, de-icing coordinator, instructor, and head of training on the subject, i agree with them.

Attacking the snow with a broom is good for three things:
1. It may save you time in the de-icingbay, as brooming can be done at gate, during boarding, etc.
2. It will save the airline a lot of money (de-icing fluids and fuel).
3. Very enviromentaly friendly because of 1 and 2.

Brooming is however, not a replacement for proper de-icing treatment, it is a supplement, to be able to perform a more efficient de-icing treatment later on.

But rather than reccommend leaving the wing contaminated, i would take a closer look at the fluid limitations vs actual conditions, alternate de-icing positions for minimum exposure, tactile-check before line-up, and so on.
I'd rather tell you to leave the aircraft until spring, than tell you that departing with a contaminated wing is ok...

As for the video, i would probably pleed self-defence for trying out the aircrafts emergency exits in an attempt to stop the pilots from trying to kill me..