PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take off with snow on wing
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2012, 17:13
xxgunnerxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People here are so judgmental its ridiculous. "If its not done our way its clearly wrong" attitude. Russians have experience in deicing pure and simple - how many western crashes were there due to icing? Too many to count! How many in Soviet Bloc? Ya I thought so! We'll see what the outcome of the UTair investigation will be, so again lets not jump to conclusions.

If you watch the video, you'll clearly see at the end of the wing, some snow mechanically brushed off. Obviously the crew is not kamikaze and checked for ice underneath the snow. Some of you will then jump and say well what about the leading edge??? Well Shirley, if they checked the end of the wing they will check that area too, don't you think? I would and I'd wager they did too!

Look all I'm saying here is to be objective and cautious. Yes the Bus manual wasn't followed, but at the end of the day its up to the Captain's discretion. For all you know he could have 20 years experience flying An-2s in the Kamchatka area while you were still learning how to tie your shoelaces. Just because you were taught to deice when there is snow on the wings, does not make you correct.