PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take off with snow on wing
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2012, 14:24
Checkboard

Received 122 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by shy talk
Let's face it, when it comes to 'snow', we're rank amateurs here, as we demonstrate year after year after year. We haven't got a bloody clue, so, we simply de-ice at any and every hint of frozen anything on the a/c.
Speak for yourself. The airbus I fly has enough range to leave the UK - and (surprise, surprise) it does just that each winter as it flies into mainland snowy Europe

I remember seeing a very clean a/c getting de-iced one morning and scratching my head about his decision to de-ice and ours not to. Our a/c was spotless.
Why were you scratching your head? The other aircraft may have recently spent several hours at altitude and have fuel frost. The other Captain may have looked at the weather shortly to arrive and decided to beat any queues. There are many reasons for different decisions to both be correct. If your aircraft was spotless - that's all you need worry about.

Over here we do things our way-and for a reason.

Maybes other places, where they have MUCH more experience of snow, they do things differently?
The pilots may well have checked for ice under the powder with some sort of approved tactile check. Who knows? (mind you- I doubt it.)

Not me, nor the posters on here who howl their righteous derision.
Not you As to me, I can categorically state there is no "approved tactile check" for ice under snow which leaves snow on the wing. If you don't know that, then it's time for you to get back into the books.

For those who go on about cold conditions and powder snow, using all of their vast car-driving experience - sure, some snow is easy to remove - in which case the procedure is to remove it. No one cares if you use a broom, or compressed air to do that rather than de-icing fluid - but you still have to do it.

I'm not defending what these guys did-
Really? ? Who wrote all of that rubbish then? The Russian snow fairy?