PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take off with snow on wing
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2012, 23:59
Checkboard

Received 127 Likes on 61 Posts
Fishes in a barrel, I know - apologies to the pilots on the forum - move on to the next post.

Originally Posted by deSitter
We have to assume that the pilots were aware that the snow was powder (and even in the video, it sure looks and behaves like powder to me), and there was no ice beneath. Pilots are generally loath to kill themselves with stupidity.
You might have to assume - I assume that, the pilots on this flight had no idea what condition the snow was.

"even in the video" - it's hard to see ice on a cheap phone recording - have a look ar the second take off vid posted on this thread - the ice barely shows up, but was obvious to the filmer.

Clear ice can hardly be seen in real life - even from the cabin windows, you have to feel for it.

"No ice beneath" - what was holding on to the bits of snow we can see even after the take off?

"Pilots are loath to kill themselves" - like idiots in cars, idiots on unstable ladders, etc etc, pilots can be stupid as well. The problem isn't that they are "loath to kill themselves" - its that they can't see the guy with the hood and sickle walking up behind them while they are laughing at the view out of the front window ....