PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EDINBURGH
Thread: EDINBURGH
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2012, 22:01
edi_local

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipness One Echo
That's very 21st century British, I can see you are actually concerned.
That worries me.
Man has ticket, (possibly from family / mate who can't go), man passes through security, man gets on plane. None of this is actually a threat. The mindset reminds me of the chap who was fined for getting off his train at the stop before his ticket was booked to, he was nearly arrested. The harm of course was ZERO but now it's all about the process and following lots of rules, something we do better than anyone. Think of the Italian / French attitude to terror suspects and deportation versus our own, they just chuck them out for the common good, we are terrified to step outside the process.
Being forced to carry a passport to fly from London to Edinburgh won't make you any safer, it really, really won't.
First off, I don't think it's unsafe at all, obviously there is no danger to the aircraft as everyone no matter who they are is screened. You have created an image of me in your own mind that is entirely untrue. I will continue to fly BA and BD domestic flights without any fear I can assure you of that. I was merely saying that you would think that with all the other over the top things relating to air travel in the UK today that an airline would want to make sure the people on the plane match the passenger list. That is all, nothing sinister, just a simple game of match up. If only to cover their own backs in the unfortunate event of an incident involving casualties or if the police are looking for a particular passenger. I really don't see why that is such an outlandish thing to think about.

In theory though, what's to stop someone who's been banned from BA (say for assaulting cabin crew or ground staff or causing disruption on a flight) getting on one of their aircraft using the name of a mate? What about a group of plane stupid morons using fake names and getting on board and causing a scene? These things could easily happen if no one bothers to check who's actually on the planes.