PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take off with snow on wing
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2012, 19:38
Checkboard

Received 116 Likes on 56 Posts
I was thinking of the CRJ that rolled over on T/O at Birmingham after the APU exhaust melted a thin layer of frost on one wing only.
I see a reference to another CRJ accident above. Clearly it's a type that REALLY needs the wings clear.
That was a Canadair Challenger CL600, the business jet from which the CRJ was developed, however - point taken.

... and Belavia Flight 1834, a CRJ-100ER, and China Eastern Flight 5210, a CRJ-200LR. All aircraft without leading edge devices.

... not sayin' it's any less of a dereliction of duty in an aircraft WITH leading edge devices, mind.

Originally Posted by Peterd28
Fairly new in the RHS and my sector, I was re-assured by my hairy arsed colleagues that it wouldn't be a problem. There was a very significant delay on rotate before the a/c leaped into the air like a frightened horse. Not much conversation before Nantucket... well we didn't know about health and safety in those days... so what was there to talk about
... so you admit you knew nothing. You admit that the operation frightened you. I am failing to get your point that managing to survive one take off means this is a good procedure.

... the airline, and METARs (weather reports) are posted on the Tech Log forum for anyone interested. Temperature hovering around 0º-1ºC and last snow fall about two hours before the flight.

Same pilot?
Same airline - it's called "Corporate Safety Culture"

Last edited by Checkboard; 10th Apr 2012 at 19:50.