PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dear International Pilots, You Are Not Welcome In Europe
Old 10th Apr 2012, 12:18
janbrill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weak argument

As a european, i went through all required exams to gain my JAA Atpl.All 14 exams and skill test.
My FAA ATPL granted me a ppl vfr just to start the groundschool.
Why would anyone else do otherwise,the standard is SET,if you want to hold a european license,do the work and stop bitc@@@@@@@

Most probably,however,ICAO holders still have a year exemption.
just enough time to pass those 14 exams
Start reading chaps....CHOP CHOP

De Facto,

you seem to be pretty full of yourself for passing those 14 exams. As you correctly state in a later post, it's a selection. Nothing more. In fact it's a selection that separates good rote-learners with lots of time on their hands from bad rote-learners with little time on their hands. That's all. I'm really sorry that you apparently feel this to be a factor for your job security.

More important, it's also a selection between people who have EUR 15.000 to convert their license, type ratings and instructors privileges and those who don't. From a standpoint of aviation-safety this second selection is about as relevant as the first one.

BTW: If you converted an FAA ATPL, as you claim, it should have been only 12 exams, because 91+92 are credited under JAR 1.016(a) conversions, at least in most countries, including Germany. Still: applause!

Unfortunately your argument in favor of the status quo is an intellectually very weak one. It boils down to: "I had to do it, so everybody else has to do it." That's plain silly, even if a case for the EASA-rule could me made on other grounds.

Anyway, if you read my article which iwrbf has linked, you notice that it's mainly about private pilots moving between systems due to job- or life-changes. And if you honestly think, that the current law is adequate or appropriate in these cases, then I would really like to know your reasoning.

best regards,
Jan Brill

Last edited by janbrill; 10th Apr 2012 at 14:05.