PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expat Recruitment in Kenya Airways, What's the Catch?
Old 8th Apr 2012, 08:39
Vc10Tail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keitaidenwa "For those of you think you already "have all skills needed for left seat

For those of you think you already "have all skills needed for left seat", wake up, there is always more to learn from others.

Thank you for your ounce of wisdom Sir!I have learn't something new today...

No one claimed explicitly what you quoted as above...hence the reason the word "training" keeps cropping up on this thread time and again.In Aviation the day you think you know it all is the day you should step down your airplane(and careful at that) and bid your final farewell.

To give your argument some benefit of doubt; skill transfer is not what Kenya Airways needs, it has plenty there-in from the decades of safe flying experience.I can count the number of accidents in its history since East African Airways...and it is less than my fingers.Consider that against the number of flights or number of passengers and cargo it has faithfully and safely transported over the same time frame!The kind of argument you are proposing qualified during the winds of change in the post colonial transition period..not any more.I have witnessed the standards at Kenya Airways.(take a peek at You tube also)They were born out of East African Airways, which was essentially a carbon copy of then BOAC (now B.A.) and those standards compare well to the best of airlines in the world.Visit the major Airlines in the gulf and you shall see that Kenyans, few as they may be,enjoy respectable positions.Enquire with Air Traffic Controllers world wide and you shall be given a commendable view on how Kenyan pilots deport themselves.Kenya is not a bannana republic my friend! It is why fussy KLM got married here!From KLM and the Sky team alliance there is a lot of culture transfer that is both good operationally, and commercially.What Kenya airways can benefit from experience, they are getting it from the manufacturers who sell their planes to Kenya airways additional to advice from their allies.Kenya is competent enough to ferry those planes back home without manufacturer training pilots after learning the S.O.P.s of the manufacturer and moulding them into kenya airways' own S.O.P.s

Kenya Airways is now a developed airline by international standards...haven't you ever flown even as a passenger?We do not need foreign expertise to fly aeroplanes nowdays.It is not rocket science anymore..modern planes are even simpler to fly!Kenya Airways is not seeking Test Pilots...just line pilots in keeping with their fleet expansion...and there is no better place to recruit than its own home ground.To get the Kenyan pilot license is arguably much harder than F.A.A. or other ICAO license.I can contest that it is somewhat harder even than the J.A.A license due to, I concede, the african conundrum one has to adapt to enable things to work.The ATPL writtens are from JAA data bank, but no class prep and so by self study (the harder way).The GFT if done independently is a carbon copy of the old British CAA(arguably the highest standard in the past).So what have you got to treach us Kenyans Sir....I suggest not much more than manuals and present experience already can!