PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sooo, You Want to Fly for Korean Airlines Do You?
Old 6th Apr 2012, 15:20
Cool Guys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have worked and lived in many Asian countries including Korea. I have travelled long distances to many outback places with my local colleagues on planes, trains, buses and taxies. During this time I have been able to have many long and interesting discussions about most things from cell phones to Tibetan politics. One thing I have learnt with absolute certainty is that people all over the world are the same. Asian, Western, Middle Eastern, African etc. All men have similar interests and talk about the same stuff. Woman from all cultures have similar interests and talk about such things as boyfriends and babies. The difference is their education since they were born. This is their culture. In the 50s many Koreans were starving to death. In the 80s Korea was controlled by a ruthless dictator. Koreans are very proud of their achievements, their long history, of Admiral Yi Sun-Sin, about King Sejong and the Hangeul alphabet and so they should be. If their safety is not so good a bunch of insults is not going to help. What is required is more understanding and less of these negative rants.

Some advice to the western pilot with the Korean first officer. Because you are probably older your first officer he may feel inferior and because his English is not so good he may feel a little embarrassed. Take control, make the situation better, talk to him, ask him about his time in the military. Admit that you don’t really like kimchi because it is a little too spicy. Apologise for not being able to speak Korean. Ask him if he thinks North and South Korea should reunite. Spend a day at the National Museum of Korea in Seoul. Spend another day in the Seoul War Museum. I think you will find it will enrich your life.

Last edited by Cool Guys; 6th Apr 2012 at 15:22. Reason: Increased the font size