PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 6th Apr 2012, 10:49
FamousGrouse21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some opinions on training needed

Hi all. I need a few opinions on training, so thought I'd drop a post on here. Basically i've been floating around in aviation on a private basis for a few years now, and have managed to achieve ppl, night, imc and 160 hours. From the outset I always intended to try and make a career out of it, but have been somewhat stalled by the gloomy economic outlook over the past few years.

As of recently I have 0 commitments again (The dating scene just doesn't seem like its for me at the moment lol) so I have once again started considering my options regarding training. So... a few points...

1) If I got started fairly soon, given my age is a bit adavanced on that of some starters (I'm just 27) is there a chance of making a decent career out of it? I'm not looking to get rich and retire at 50 (In fact I don't really plan on retiring at all, but simply getting stuff paid off and continuing to do various intereting jobs on the side). However, I would obviously like to get some sort of return on my investment to enable me to live a bit of a life. I was looking at going down the CPL FI TR route and perhaps trying to get into biz jet flying within say 3 - 5 years (Making me early 30s), giving me hopefully another 30 years to make some money out of it.... does this sound feasible?

2) I potentially have an instructor job at my club lined up for when I qualify, as the CFI there is very impressed with my flying. It wouldn't be much but it would be a start, which given what I read around the forums is not to be sniffed at in the current climate.

3) Finally... I have a background in teaching and classroom instruction... Do you think this could be used to compliment my aviation career (And earnings) in the early stages... perhaps through doing lots of groundschool instructing (If there is much of this type of work available?)

Any opinions on my plans / situation are much appreciated.

Grouse