PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC Humour (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2002, 07:15
atb1943

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...........sorry for mine on the xponder - notice that line up and go wrote it way back in August. That's what comes of starting to read from the back - must have summat to do with Flight magazine. My source is at Shoreham now, and was also at Gut when there were Vamps and Venoms there.

I was out in Amman last year with a bunch of GA aircraft (14 in all), from Piper twins to a Cessna 170 (very important because it was flown by the group's engineer, a diminutive Frenchman who always wears two pairs of glasses). After various arguments with Markas' ATC, via the ground handler, about who departs last (they wanted the C170 last because he was the smallest, thus the slowest....logic) we won, because we were with the organisers and had to do the official farewells, etc.
Terrific wind, meaning that the C170 had to be held on to whilst taxying which I elected to do with my pilot mate. I held on to the wingstrut, while matey had a piece of cord attached to the tailwheel. Off we run, engineer in a hurry, matey drops the string, I'm flying from the strut, trying to get him to slow down a bit (what's that in frog?) until we get to the intersection. Handler converses with ATC who enquire if I intend being dragged onto the active runway. Explain the necessity otherwise....etc. More exchanges with ATC, who then demand that Fox Charly Echo backtracks (Christopher - he already wanted to take off from the taxiway!!). So I put me foot down and scream, so there can be no mistake: 'I'm not runnin' all that f***ing way!'

We won the day, and took Aqaba...