PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Korean Air
Thread: Korean Air
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2012, 03:53
bluewater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I have to agree with oldgrunt. I have been a similar time at KE and share similar experience/views. I would have to say the Korean FO’s I fly with are by all accounts generally well spoken and have good skills. In fact I have to sympathize as many flights are crewed heavy therefore the opportunity for a TO AND LDG is not as common as one may expect in other carriers - hence not easy to gain valuable hands on experience. And as we all know with flying experiences the final exam often comes first and then the lesson! I have to ask myself (regardless why we believe we are here) if I was in “my” national carrier as an FO with 10+ years and then 400 Korean Capt's joined as DEC - I tend to think most of us would be very pissed off. Not sure what the Korean FO's (or Capt’s) say behind my/our back but to my face they are polite and very professional. Again just reporting as I see it on my coal face!

Rosters have been as I expected. Busy but not as fatiguing as other jobs I have had or ex colleagues report. I am shortly to start KAL’s options system (10 days on and 8 days off - in/out of my home town). I don’t get that opportunity every day of the week. If KE can make it last long term they may have a long term employee. YES the pay is not fantastic (low USD not helping) but overall a respectable gig. Don’t shoot the messenger just reporting as I see it.

There seems to be some growing opportunities in China which hopefully may match KE for roster basing’s but with much improved pay. Watch this space.

Safe flights.
BW