PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jodel over Derbyshire
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 10:02
snapper1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2hotwot, it was really a non-event and everything was done correctly. I just wanted to make contact with the Jodel driver to make sure he understood that our advice not to try for a landing was based on safety grounds.

The Jodel called about 10 minutes out asking for airfield info. We were having a really good day but launches and landings were becoming rather sporty. Wind was 280/15 and increasing. Our westerly facing ridge was, as usual in these conditions, creating turbulence low down. In this situation we accept the crosswind for launching so that we can get good height on the wire. We then land to the west to be into wind and on to an upslope. The airfield (and I stress FIELD) is 800mtrs north-south but only 400mtrs west-east - and the first 100mtrs of that is unlandable. There is absolutly no undershoot and the only overshoot option to the west is to go around onto the ridge or put it in a field in the valley about 600ft below.

A member who is a very experienced power pilot said that even if the Jodel got in on a westerly approach, he wouldn't get off again on the upslope. The Jodel then flew around the field at a good, safe distance and called to ask about a landing to the north. I was at the radio and had no hesitation in saying it would be inadvisable. He called back saying he'd just clocked our windsock and wished us 'happy gliding'. We wished him a good flight.

Guzzler, yes, that's right.

Last edited by snapper1; 3rd Apr 2012 at 10:40.