PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Propeller torque & engine torque
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2012, 16:33
oggers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
italia:

So, has this discussion changed your answer now, or do you still believe that the THP will equal the BHP because it's 'accelerating a mass of air rearwards'?
Not changed my pov. BHP x PE = THP. [notwithstanding Tx losses obviously]

After 4 pages you have now done a ma-housiv u-turn and decided that the aircraft can stay still after all and still output power from the prop.
Where did I say that the prop does not do work on the air when the aircraft is not moving? I never said that! So, to put it bluntly, you are lying.
Well, what I wrote and what you wrote underneath it aren't the same. But taking your little statement at face value, you are clearly accepting there that there is a power output from the prop even if the plane is stationary.

An equation for PE (that you have used yourself) is power output divided by power input. An equation for THP is BHP x PE. If you acknowledge there is a power output from the prop you must acknowledge there is THP.

I look forward to reading the wriggling you will do to mitigate this conclusion. Not that I've entirely finished myself.

No. THP has to do with aircraft performance. When it's on a testbed, you wouldn't be analyzing THP
I think most people here, being aviation professionals, would feel the putting of an engine on a tested had quite a lot to do with aircraft performance. Unless you are a glider pilot.