PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Propeller torque & engine torque
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2012, 13:52
italia458

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oggers:

We had never talked about a wind before and I had assumed that there would be no wind. Therefore, with no wind, TAS is the same as GS.

You hold onto it as if you 'won' or something. If you really were thinking about wind before, you would have made a comment about it the first time I mentioned a position relative to the ground. You also forgot to highlight the times when I referred to the same speed as "TAS". Of course you wouldn't want to provide an unbiased view because that would mean you don't really have a point in this case. I think its quite obvious to everyone that neither of us was thinking about wind.

I should also point out that out of the 4 quotes you posted, only 2 actually relate to what you were talking about. #2 and #3 mention earth or the ground. But #1 and #4 only mention motion.

You never addressed the recent 'issues' I brought up in my last 2 posts about what you said about induced power. It seems as though you actually can't admit being wrong at all. You would never be a good scientist or engineer.

I think the original point of discussion between us was if the aircraft velocity was zero, I said there would be zero THP and you obviously did not agree because you said this:

Not that myth again. It's disappointing to have to point out to one who calls himself an instructor that in your 'brakes on' scenario the aircraft is still producing 200 THP as well as 200 BHP because it is accelerating a mass of air rearwards in a futile attempt to turn the earth and the atmosphere in opposite directions. Come on italia, pull your socks up. These are fundamentals that instructors should have a grip on.
So, has this discussion changed your answer now, or do you still believe that the THP will equal the BHP because it's 'accelerating a mass of air rearwards'? After this discussion it's quite obvious that I have a better 'grip' on the fundamentals of aerodynamics than you do!

EDIT:
After 4 pages you have now done a ma-housiv u-turn and decided that the aircraft can stay still after all and still output power from the prop.
Where did I say that the prop does not do work on the air when the aircraft is not moving? I never said that! So, to put it bluntly, you are lying.

Last edited by italia458; 31st Mar 2012 at 15:02.